welcome to oneEDSvoice- a positively charged Ehlers Danlos Syndrome community.
- join today!
Establishment of Local Arterial Stiffness Normal Values (Carotid and Femoral) on Healthy Volunteers Using Supersonic Shear Imaging
study id #: NCT01096264
condition: Healthy Volunteers , Vascular Ehlers Danlos Syndrome
Arterial stiffness is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular events and death.
Most of existing technique need dedicated device for arterial stiffness evaluation and indirect calculation of intra arterial pressure. Supersonic Shear Imaging (SSI) is a novel non-invasive technique based on remote palpation of biological tissues that can image with very high temporal resolution (up to 10,000 images/s) and quantify the local viscoelastic properties of tissues. The investigators goal was to apply this SSI technique for arterial stiffness evaluation and local pulse wave velocity (PWV) calculation.
As a first step, the primary goal of this study is to establish normal values of local pulse wave velocity and arterial stiffness (carotid and femoral) by SSI on hundred healthy volunteers.
Other: SSI and SphygmoCor® evaluations
SSI evaluation need Aixplorer vascular ultrasound machine (available in our department) with 8 MHz linear array probe applied on the carotid and femoral artery.
SphygmoCor® evaluation used pressure captors on carotid and femoral sites to record the intra-arterial pressure wave time delay after QRS wave. After distance calculation between the two sites, Aortic PWV can be derived.
start date: March 2010
estimated completion: March 2011
last updated: March 9, 2015
phase of development: N/A
size / enrollment: 145
study design: Allocation: Non-Randomized
Intervention Model: Factorial Assignment
Masking: Open Label
study description: Provide a more extensive description, if desired. Avoid duplication of information to be recorded elsewhere, such as eligibility criteria or outcome measures.
- Normal Values by SSI [ Time Frame:day one ]
Normal Values by SSI of local PWV and arterial wall stiffness(carotid and femoral).
- repeatability of the "primary outcome measure" [ Time Frame:Day one ] Evaluation of the repeatability of the "primary outcome measure" on 100 healthy volunteers and 30 patients with Vascular Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (vEDS).
- Comparison between 2 populations of values by SSI [ Time Frame:Day one ] Comparison between healthy volunteers and vEDS patients for PWV and arterial stiffness evaluated by SSI.
- Comparison of values between SSI and standard gold [ Time Frame:Day one ] Concordance evaluation between PWV calculated by SSI and Aortic Pulse wave velocity calculated by ShygmoCor®
inclusion criteria: Inclusion criteria for Healthy Volunteers:
- Healthy volunteers between 18 and 70 years old of two sexes.
- Caucasian origin
- No tobacco or stopped for more than 5 years
- BMI between 18 and 30 kg/m2.
- Blood pressure after 5 minutes of rest < 140 and 90 mmHg.
- Biological test (haematological biochemistry test in blood , urine test and toxicology tests are all normal) ECG, Blood pressure and Heart rhythm normal.
- All volunteers received information on the research and signed the consent form.
- Health system protection required
Inclusion criteria for patient :
- Age between, 18 et 70 years old for the two sexes
- Presence of two major criteria of Villefranche classification (Am J Med Genet 1998 ;77:31-7) and/or heterozygote pathogen mutation of COL3A1 gene.
- At least 4cm long normal arterial segment (carotid or femoral) analyzed by mode B echograph.
- All patient received information on the research and signed the consent form.
- Health system protection required
exclusion criteria: General Exclusion Criteria : - Pregnancy
- Echograph gel allergy
- Local Artery disease (dissection or thrombosis)
- No health insurance coverage
- Incapacity or refused to sign the consent form
Exclusion criteria for Healthy volunteers
- Acute or Chronic Systemic disease (atherosclerosis)
- Alcohol abuse or drug abuse (cocaine, cannabis, etc.)
- Active or past tobacco
- Hypercholesterolemia (LDLc >1.09 g/l)
- Exclusion period according to the national record for volunteer of clinical trial.
Exclusion criteria for Patients
- No intact (carotid or femoral) segment for SSI analysis
- AT2 inhibitors or Beta blockers treatment will be notified but are not considered as exclusion criteria.
expertly curated content related to this topic
Silent animation by these authors that shows the types of aortic dissection and how they formhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpK0xXdS...
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome Related to FKBP14 Mutations: Detailed Cutaneous PhenotypeIn 2012, a new Ehlers-Danlos (ED) varian...
Increased Vertebral Artery Tortuosity Index is Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Children and Young Adults With Co...BACKGROUND: Arterial tortuosity is desc...
Treatments for POTS That Don’t Require Medicationhttp://myheart.net/wp-content/uploads/20...
Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (Ehlers-Danlos): What Causes The Pain?Are you so flexible you can do tricks? D...
Ehlers Danlos and POTS Group!This group is for people who suffer from...
Classifications of EDS: Hypermobility Typehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSO1Sut1...